Monday, June 23, 2014

Week 6 - The Net-Generation Consumer


After reading Tapscotts chapter “The Net Generation as Consumers” I thought that this is exactly how I am as a consumer. Before I buy any product I go online and research the product. I like to read reviews to find out whether or not the product I intend to purchase is worth purchasing.

Horizon Research Publishing created a great article called “Importance of Online Product Reviews from a Consumer's Perspective” They created a survey that asked various questions about product reviews, how important reviews are and where they find these reviews. They found that 74% found online reviews to be important to vary important and 85% read reviews often before purchasing online. “The more interesting and surprising finding was that a lot of customers compare positive and negative reviews with each other.” That is exactly how I am when it comes to reviews. I am always interested in why the product was negatively reviewed and why it was positively reviewed. I also look at the ratio between positive and negative reviews. More negative reviews than positive then might influence my decision to not purchase a product.

I also like when companies listen to the consumers. “Leading companies are using all kinds of innovative approaches to get feedback.” When companies read reviews of their products they should make changes to those product so that they can better support the consumer. For example, Apple just released an update to their ereader app “iBooks” As soon as the app was released people started writing negative reviews saying that they did not like they new design. “we don’t put books on aluminum shelves — well, we usually don’t”  For Apple’s product, iBooks, to be successful I hope that Apple reads the reviews and makes changes to the app in order to meet the concerns of the net-gen consumers.

Sources

Lackermair, G., Kailer, D., & Kanmaz, K. (2013, January 1). Importance of Online Product Reviews from a Consumer's Perspective. . Retrieved June 23, 2014, from http://www.hrpub.org/download/201307/aeb.2013.010101.pdf

Tapscott, D. (2009). Grown up digital: how the net generation is changing your world. New York: McGraw-Hill.

Snelgrove, N. (2013, November 28). Why I Still Prefer Kindle Over iBooks. iPhoneAppStorm RSS. Retrieved June 23, 2014, from http://iphone.appstorm.net/general/opinion-general/why-i-still-prefer-kindle-over-ibooks/


2 comments:

  1. The upcoming of the Net Generation makes businesses much more responsible, directly, to consumers. There is more competition and in order for businesses to compete, they must listen to the consumer or there may not be any more business in the future. Even with local businesses it is easy to go online and see previous customers' reviews and decide if they want to patronize the business. Particularly in the Net Generation, reputation is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often wondered about online reviews. As a consumer I don't hinge a buying decision on them, but if reviews are available I do read through them. In the back of my head I am always wondering who writes them, could they be working for the company just to make a product look better than it is? I prefer word of mouth from people I know. Sometimes I even poll on Facebook to see what my "friends" use or buy. Just recently I needed septic pumping services, since I have only lived in my area for 3 years and never needed these services before I posted on Facebook asking my friends in the area who they use and would recommend. I am taking a cruise at the end of July and one of my friends going is into checking the reviews when we are searching for excursions. I will have to share with her the resources that Natalie and Scott shared. I like the list of tips from Natalie's resource.

    ReplyDelete